Friday, September 4, 2020

Tiny Biters

Proboscis inserted in my arm

Barb and I were sitting on the deck reading when I noticed little tiny sharp bites with no insects to account for them.  Finally I had one on my forearm where I could see a tiny dark spot.  I set my camera on macro, zoomed in tight.....and it flew off.  Soon another landed and when I felt the bite I got the picture.  A glutton for punishment, I waited and three minutes later I got another bite.  This was my lucky day!

I was sure that INaturalist wouldn't be able to make out the fuzzy photo above but I hit pay dirt the first try.  It is the insidious flower bug (IFB) - Orius insidiosus. It is also called a minute pirate bug.  I photographed one on the porch swing and then measured the orange weave which is barely 2mm.  In all three photographs you can see its long proboscis. "The better to bite you with, my dear."

Wikipedia says: "Orius insidiosus occasionally bites humans. Although the bite can be considered disproportionately painful relative to the size of this species, it is not harmful."  Although annoying, and leaving a little red mark after a thirty second bite, I would say if ranked pound for pound it would exceed any wasp.

Dinner time - USDA

IFB are generalist predators primarily feeding on caterpillars, soft bodied arthropods and insect eggs, occasionally sweetened up with a little bite of nectar.  They are valuable in some agricultural settings and are available commercially in bulk.  We aren't buying any this year.

 More details are at Entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures